Efforts include matched contributions, vehicles, in-kind, and volunteerism to assist victims
PLANO, Texas (August 30, 2017) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) is partnering with Toyota Financial Services (TFS), The Friedkin Group, Gulf States Toyota (GST) and Toyota and Lexus dealers nationwide, to provide a combined relief effort of over $3 million to serve the people impacted by Hurricane Harvey. The group’s relief efforts include funds to organizations such as the St. Bernard Project and American Red Cross, matching contributions, in-kind donations, volunteerism, and the donation of pre-owned vehicles.
“As fellow Texans, our hearts go out to those who have lost so much and we would like to extend a helping hand to help with the recovery,” said Jim Lentz, CEO of Toyota Motor North America. “At Toyota, we have a comprehensive approach to disaster relief, working with numerous organizations to provide help where it’s needed.”
Dan Friedkin, chairman of GST, has established the Friedkin Disaster Relief Fund and has guaranteed at least $1 million in funding from the Friedkin Family. The Friedkin Group and GST will support Toyota and Lexus dealers, their associates as well as individuals across the region recovering from the hurricane. To make a donation, please go to: www.friedkinrelieffund.com.
“Many people’s lives will never be the same after Hurricane Harvey and the recovery process will require as much assistance as possible,” said Friedkin. “This community is our home, and it’s important for us to do whatever possible to ensure that our associates, dealers and anyone impacted by the storm have the support and resources to bounce back during this difficult time.”
Today, TFS and Lexus Financial Services (LFS) announced the donation of pre-owned Toyota and Lexus cars, SUVs, and trucks to organizations involved in helping move people and property in the recovery efforts.
“Access to reliable means of transportation is a critical element to any disaster relief and recovery effort,” said Mike Groff, president and CEO of Toyota Financial Services. “We hope that our donated vehicles will help meet the needs of those affected by Hurricane Harvey.”
Toyota is working in a variety of ways to reach the greatest number of people affected by the storm, summarized below:
- American Red Cross – As a National Responder annual contributor, Toyota supports Red Cross’ ongoing disaster relief efforts across the country, including the Texas coastal region. These efforts include helping secure necessities like food, clothing, prescriptions, etc.
- St. Bernard Project (SBP) – Provides disaster resilience training and rebuilding in disaster communities, and are currently deploying people in South Texas. Some of the services they provide include: helping victims to negotiate Federal dollars and relief, avoid contractor fraud, and education on mold remediation. In the long-term, they will deploy volunteers and AmeriCorps to rebuild homes at a lower cost. With the implementation of the Toyota Production System, their teams build faster and more cost effectively. SBP’s goal is to help build the capacity of local agencies, non-profits and government by sharing best practices and lessons learned to speed recovery efforts. Toyota will provide an additional donation of $1 million to this project for Hurricane Harvey.
- TFS/LFS Payment Relief Program – TFS/LFS is offering a payment relief program for its customers affected by Hurricane Harvey. The program’s broad outreach includes any TFS or LFS customer in the designated disaster areas. Impacted lease and finance customers residing in the devastated areas may be eligible to take advantage of several payment options, such as extensions and lease deferred payments, redirecting billing statements, and arranging phone or on-line payments. Customers who would like to discuss their account options are encouraged to contact TFS or LFS:
TFS: (800) 874-8822; email using “Mail Center” function after logging into ToyotaFinancial.com
LFS: (800) 874-7050; email using “Mail Center” function after logging into LexusFinancial.com
- TFS/LFS Vehicle Donations – Pre-owned Toyota and Lexus vehicles will be made available to help move people and property as part of the recovery efforts.
- TMNA/Friedkin Group Dealer Match Program – For Toyota and Lexus dealers who want to contribute to The Friedkin Group Relief Fund, TMNA has set aside up to $250,000 to match Toyota/Lexus dealer contributions.
- JM Family / Southeast Toyota Distributors (SET) – JM Family, parent company to SET, is making a $100,000 donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
- TMNA Dealer Match Program – For Toyota and Lexus dealers who want to contribute to relief efforts and charitable organizations of their choice tied to Hurricane Harvey, TMNA will match their contribution up to $10,000.
- Toyota Team Member Contributions – Toyota will match all team member contributions throughout the U.S. in support of disaster relief.
- Evacuee shelters in Dallas – TMNA and TFS is exploring how to engage its Plano-based team members to meet the needs of evacuees – such as clothing, toiletries and/or volunteer support at locations like the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas, Texas.
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas – While not in the heart of the storm, the San Antonio area sustained high winds and drenching rains from the outer edge of the tropical storm after it made landfall. Team Members at the manufacturing plant are organizing to volunteer in the local community, blood drives, and provide in-kind donations to displaced people.
Spanish-language version of this release
About The Friedkin Group
The Friedkin Group is comprised of a consortium of automotive, hospitality, entertainment, golf and adventure companies. These organizations include: Gulf States Toyota, GSFSGroup, GS Marketing, US AutoLogistics, Ascent Automotive Group, Auberge Resorts Collection, Imperative Entertainment, Diamond Creek Golf Club, Congaree and Legendary Adventures. The Friedkin Group is led by Chairman and CEO Dan Friedkin.
About Gulf States Toyota
Houston-based Gulf States Toyota is one of the world’s largest independent distributors of Toyota and Scion vehicles and parts, serving 157 dealers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. Gulf States Toyota was founded in 1969.
About Toyota Financial Services
Toyota Financial Services (TFS) is the finance and insurance brand for Toyota in the United States, offering retail auto financing and leasing through Toyota Motor Credit Corporation (TMCC) and Toyota Lease Trust. TFS also offers extended service contracts through Toyota Motor Insurance Services (TMIS). The company services Lexus dealers and customers using the Lexus Financial Services brand. TFS currently employs approximately 3,100 associates nationwide, and has assets totaling over $119 billion. It is part of a worldwide network of comprehensive financial services offered by Toyota Financial Services Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corporation. We announce material financial information using the investor relations section of our website (www.toyotafinancial.com) and SEC filings. We use these channels, press releases, and social media to communicate about our company, our services and other issues. While not all information we post on social media is of a material nature, some information could be material. Therefore, we encourage those interested in our company to review our posts on Twitter at www.twitter.com/toyotafinancial.
Points of Light has named TFS one of its Civic 50, which recognizes the most community-minded companies in the nation. For more information about the company’s support of financial literacy, youth development programs, and other community initiatives, please visit www.tfsinthecommunity.com.
Toyota (NYSE:TM) has been a part of the cultural fabric in the U.S. and North America for 60 years, and is committed to advancing sustainable, next-generation mobility through our Toyota and Lexus brands. During that time, Toyota has created a tremendous value chain as our teams have contributed to world-class design, engineering, and assembly of more than 33 million cars and trucks in North America, where we operate 14 manufacturing plants (10 in the U.S.) and directly employ more than 46,000 people (more than 36,000 in the U.S.). Our 1,800 North American dealerships (nearly 1,500 in the U.S.) sold almost 2.7 million cars and trucks (2.45 million in the U.S.) in 2016 – and about 85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold over the past 15 years are still on the road today.
Toyota partners with community, civic, academic, and governmental organizations to address our society’s most pressing mobility challenges. We share company resources and extensive know-how to support non-profits to help expand their ability to assist more people move more places. For more information about Toyota, visit www.toyotanewsroom.com.
The Friedkin Group / Gulf States Toyota:
Toyota Financial Services:
Toyota Motor North America: