• September 2002 – Lexus introduces its third luxury utility vehicle, the all-new V8-powered GX 470. The new SUV includes seating for up to eight and the latest Lexus safety technology. The GX is sized and priced between the RX 330 and the LX 470.
• September 2003 – Newly available Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) is an industry first, electronically controlling sway resistance of the front and rear suspension anti-roll bars. New roll-sensing side curtain airbags and Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
• November 2004 – Revised 4.7-liter V8 gains Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) for 2005 model year; horsepower increased from 235 to 263; certified as Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle II (ULEV II).
• September 2006 – Enhanced navigation and rear seat entertainment system become available for the 2007 model. Mark Levinson® DVD Premium Audio System is added as an option and an MP3/iPod® audio input plug becomes a standard feature.
• September 2007 – 2008 GX 470 receives revised exterior styling details and minor interior trim changes.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• October 2002 – The GX 470 was named "Premium SUV of the Year" at the 2002 Texas Truck Rodeo.
• January 2003 – 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine names the GX 470 "4x4 of the Year."
• January 2003 – Four Wheeler magazine names the GX 470 "Four Wheeler of the Year."
• May 2003 – Polk Automotive Intelligence announces the Automotive Market Environmental Superiority (AMES) Awards and picks the Lexus GX 470 as the winner in the Full-Size Luxury SUV segment.
• March 2003 – Automobile magazine selects the Lexus GX 470 as the All-Star Mid-Size Sport Utility.
• January 2004 – For the second year in a row, Four Wheeler magazine names the GX 470 "Four Wheeler of the Year." The competing GX 470 was equipped with the new Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) introduced on the 2004 model.
• February 2004 – American Automobile Club Auto Guide selects the Lexus GX 470 as the award winner in the SUV over $30,000 category
• May 2005 – The Lexus GX 470 is the "Highest Ranking Premium Luxury SUV in Initial Quality in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.
• October 2005 – Kelley Blue Book’s kbb.com recognizes the 2006 Lexus GX 470 with a Best Resale Value: Top 10 Award.
• June 2006 – GX 470 earns J.D. Power and Associates’ Highest Ranked Midsize Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle in Initial Quality" in the Initial Quality Study.
• August 2006 – GX 470 is Highest Ranked Midsize Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle in J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS).
• August 2007 – GX 470 is Highest Ranked Midsize Premium Multi-Activity Vehicle in J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS).