All-New Avalon and RAV4 Post Record Sales; Trucks Outperform Cars
February 2013 Sales Chart
February 2013 Sales Conference Call (audio clip)
TORRANCE, Calif. (March 1, 2013)– Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported February 2013 sales results of 166,377 units, an increase of 8.7 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. Unadjusted for 24 selling days in February 2013 versus 25 in February 2012, TMS sales were up 4.3 percent over the year-ago month.
Toyota Division posted February total sales of 149,038 units, up 8.7 percent year-over-year on a DSR basis. Volume-wise, Toyota Division sales increased 4.4 percent over February 2012.
“Despite rising gas prices, severe winter storms and concerns about the federal budget, February was a good indication of the overall strength of the market,” said Bill Fay, group vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. “With the most fuel efficient full line of vehicles, Toyota is well positioned, and we’re encouraged by very positive consumer reaction to our new Avalon and RAV4.”
Lexus Division reported February total sales of 17,339, up 8.3 percent on a DSR basis and up 3.9 percent by raw volume, compared to the same period last year.
- Avalon posted its best month since November 2007, up 63.1 percent with sales of 5,703 units
- RAV4, bolstered by sales of the all-new 2014 model, recorded its best-ever February with sales of 13,329 units, up 5.1 percent
- Corolla sales of 24,999 units were up 12.9 percent
- Camry posted sales of 31,270 units, while the Prius Family recorded sales of 17,812
- Total TMS truck sales of 70,051 units, up 16.1 percent
- Total TMS Hybrid sales were 26,966 units, up 2.3 percent on a DSR basis
- Both Tundra and Highlander posted their best February sales since 2008, up 15.5 and 14.1 percent, respectively
- Tacoma recorded sales of 12,644 units, up 18.5 percent, its best February since 2008
- Lexus RX sales of 6,938, up 19.8 percent
- Lexus ES sales of 4,817, up 60.7 percent
*Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume (compared to the year-ago month).
Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. is the marketing, sales, distribution and customer service arm of Toyota, Lexus and Scion. Established in 1957, TMS markets products and services through a network of nearly 1,500 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealers which sold more than two million vehicles in 2012. Toyota directly employs nearly 30,000 people in the U.S. and its investment here is currently valued at more than $18 billion. For more information about Toyota, visit www.toyota.com, www.lexus.com, www.scion.com or www.toyotanewsroom.com.
Toyota Media Relations
Carly Schaffner (310) 468-6976
Toni Honsowetz (310) 468-1745
Lexus Public Relations
Michael Kroll (310) 468-4782
Media Web sites: