Engine producer, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama (TMMAL), employs more than 1,800 team members and builds more than 3,000 engines each day. Producing one-third of Toyota’s engines in the U.S. at its 1.2 million-square-foot facility, TMMAL is the only plant to build four-cylinder, V-6 and twin-turbo under one roof. TMMAL powers popular Toyota vehicles like the Highlander, Sienna, RAV4, Corolla, Corolla Cross, Tundra, Tacoma, and Sequoia.
Facts and Figures
Engine & Transmission
Units Assembled in 2020
- Foundation: June 1, 2001, SOP 2003
- Plant site: 334 acres in Huntsville, AL
- Plant size: 1.2 million square feet
- Investment: $1.2 billion
Products and 2020 Production Volume:
- 537,143 engines produced
- 700,000 capacity
- 4-cylinder (RAV4, Corolla, Corolla Cross, Highlander, Sienna)
- V6 (Tacoma, Tundra)
- V8 (Sequoia, Tundra)
Investments, Jobs and Production:
- 7 major investments (5 building expansions) since groundbreaking in 2001.
- The latest $288 million investment will provide new 4-cylinder and V6 engine lines to expand production capacity by about 35%, increase product flexibility and help better meet demand. This brings the total plant investment to $1.2 billion.
- The new production lines will create 450 new jobs, increasing total employment to about 1,800 Toyota supports nearly 10,000 jobs in the state of Alabama.
- Produces 1/3 of all engines built in the U.S.
- Only Toyota plant globally to build 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 engines under one roof.
- Toyota Alabama is designated as one of two model sustainable plants in North America.
- Zero landfill facility.
- EPA Energy Star Challenge for Industry award (5 consecutive years).
- Toyota North America awards for outstanding energy and water management (13 consecutive years).
- 3.3-acre solar farm producing enough energy to power the plant during non-production hours
- $12 million donated to local nonprofits since 2003.
- $700,000 donated to local nonprofits in 2020.
- Toyota Alabama is represented on 20 local nonprofit boards.
- Our team members represent 18 different counties in Alabama and Tennessee.
- Our team members are local, but they represent 14 countries, 32 U.S. States and speak 20 different languages.