Engine producer, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama (TMMAL), employs more than 1,800 team members and builds more than 3,000 engines each day. Producing one-third of Toyota’s engines in the U.S. at its 1.3 million-square-foot facility, TMMAL is the only plant to build four-cylinder, V-6 and twin-turbo under one roof. TMMAL powers popular Toyota vehicles like the Highlander, Sienna, RAV4, Corolla, Corolla Cross, Tundra, Tacoma and Sequoia.
Facts and Figures
Engines assembled in 2021
- Foundation: June 1, 2001, SOP 2003
- Plant Site: 403 acres in Huntsville, AL
- Plant Size: 1.3 million square feet
- Products: 4-cylinder (RAV4, Corolla, Corolla Cross, Highlander, Sienna); V6 (Tacoma); & V6T (Tundra, Sequoia)
- Investment: $1.5 billion
- Toyota Alabama produces one-third of all Toyota engines built in the U.S.
- Only Toyota plant globally to have built 4-cylinder, V6 and V8 engines under one roof.
- Three out of four production lines produce both combustion and hybrid engines.
Investments, Jobs and Production:
- Eight major investments and six building expansions since groundbreaking in 2001.
- The latest $222 million investment creates a new 4-cylinder engine line and will support HEV production. Project to be complete in the fall of 2023.
- Only Toyota plant in North America to build the Twin Turbo V6 engine.
- Winner of Toyota North America Awards for outstanding energy, waste and water management.
- Zero landfill facility.
- ISO14001 certified since 2004.
- Wildlife Habitat Council Certified since 2014 with four active programs onsite.
- 3.3-acre solar farm onsite, which produces enough energy to power the plant during non-production.
- One of two initial model sustainable plants.
- $12.5 million investment in the local community since 2003.
- $574,000 invested in 2021.
- Represented on 19 local nonprofit boards.
- Our team members represent 18 different counties in Alabama and Tennessee.
- Supports nearly 10,000 jobs across Alabama.