Hybrid Sales Up 45 Percent: All-New Avalon and RAV4 Post Double-Digit Gains
TORRANCE, Calif. (Feb. 1, 2013) – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported January 2013 sales results of 157,725 units, an increase of 21.6 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. Unadjusted for 25 selling days in January 2013 versus 24 in January 2012, TMS sales were up 26.6 percent over the year-ago month.
Toyota Division posted January total sales of 141,514 units, up 21 percent year-over-year on a DSR basis. Volume-wise, Toyota Division sales increased 26.1 percent over January 2012.
“The sales pace we saw in the fourth quarter of last year rolled into January, exceeding our expectations for the industry,” said Bill Fay, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. “Toyota started the year off strong, with total sales up over 26 percent, more than double the industry average. With the 2013 Avalon and 2013 RAV4 off to a great start, our focus remains firmly on new products and taking care of our customers.”
Lexus Division reported January total sales of 16,211, up 26.8 percent and 32.1 percent on a DSR and volume basis, respectively.
“With a strong January we’re off to a great start in 2013,” said Tim Morrison, Lexus vice president of sales and dealer development. “With great inventories of our recently launched models and more exciting vehicles new to come, we expect the momentum to continue.”
- Scion Division up 38.4 percent
- TMS Hybrid sales up 45.4 percent on a DSR basis, with sales of 24,232 units
- Prius Family best-ever January with sales of 15,772 units, up 36.5 percent
- Camry sales of 31,897 units, up 12.7 percent
- Corolla sales of 23,822 units, up 32.4 percent
- Avalon, bolstered by sales of the all-new 2013 model, posted sales of 4,840, up 50.4 percent in its first full-month of sales
- Total TMS truck sales of 63,852 units, up 25.5 percent
- RAV4 sales of 11,610 units, up 18.2 percent
- Lexus RX sales of 5,394, up 7.1 percent
- Lexus ES sales of 5,186, up 115.2 percent
*Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume (compared to year-ago month).
# # #
Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. is the marketing, sales, distribution and customer service arm of Toyota, Lexus and Scion. Established in 1957, TMS markets products and services through a network of nearly 1,500 Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealers which sold more than 2 million vehicles in 2012. Toyota directly employs nearly 30,000 people in the U.S. and its investment here is currently valued at more than $18 billion. For more information about Toyota, visit www.toyota.com, www.lexus.com, www.scion.com or www.toyotanewsroom.com.