Taking Cues from the Baja Series Tacoma, the FJ-S Cruiser Seeks its Own Niche
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 25, 2012 — Toyota’s FJ Cruiser enjoys a substantial audience of off-road aficionados with a constant craving for new variations on the popular 4×4. Toyota’s performance arm, TRD, is obliging them once again with a fresh take on a Baja-themed off-roader scheduled to debut on Oct. 30 at the 2012 SEMA Show.
"TRD’s work on high-performance off-road variants of Toyota vehicles goes back a number of years," said Keith Dahl, Toyota’s national manager of engagement marketing and motorsports. "The FJ-S is a great example of their off-road expertise."
The FJ’s 4.0-liter V6 engine gets the full TRD supercharger treatment with the Twin Vortex System (TVS) and a large air-to-water intercooler. The net effect is a 30 percent increase in horsepower to 345, and a torque peak of 340 lb.-ft at 3,500 rpm, a 25 percent improvement. A custom cat-back exhaust gives aural clues to the FJ’s increased urge.
The front suspension uses 60-mm Bilstein® racing shocks that provide a 1.3-inch lift, and 50-mm Bilstein® racing shocks with remote reservoirs in the rear. Sturdy 17-inch TRD Midnight Black beadlock-style wheels and BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires give the FJ a go-anywhere persona.
The exterior of the FJ-S is enhanced with a front nudge bar and rock rails, and the interior gets a two-tone leather seat treatment with FJ-S logos on the seatbacks and custom floor mats.
The FJ-S can be seen along with eight other new and unique custom-built Toyota vehicles in the Toyota display booth #24801 in Central Hall at the 2012 SEMA Show starting October 30.
- 4.0-liter V6 engine
- TRD supercharger with Twin Vortices System (TVS)
- Four-lobe, high-efficiency rotor pack
- Large air-to-water intercooler
- 345 HP (30% increase) @ 3,500 rpm
- 340 lb.-ft. of torque (25% increase) @ 3,500 rpm
- Five-speed manual transmission
- Front 60-mm Bilstein® race shocks with 1.3” lift / ¾” articulation
- Rear 50-mm Bilstein® race shocks with 0" lift / 1” articulation / remote reservoirs
- Custom floor mats
- Two-tone leather interior with FJ-S logos on seatbacks
- 17-inch TRD Midnight Black beadlock-style wheels
- BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires
- Cat-back exhaust
- Front nudge bar
- Rock rails