At the intersection of style and performance, you’ll find the Lexus GS in three distinct renditions—the GS 200t, GS 350 and GS 450h. Following a bold design enhancement for 2016, the GS, a compelling choice for enthusiast drivers and luxury connoisseurs alike, comes into the 2017 model year with the Lexus Safety System+ as standard.
The Lexus GS introduced Lexus Safety System+ as an option for 2016. Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and Full Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
The 2017 GS models also include as standard Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), which helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
Striking Signature Style
The Lexus GS features a variation of the Lexus signature spindle grille, framed by satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive standard Bi-LED headlights. The nighttime glow is unmistakably the look of Lexus.
The bold exterior design is available in a variety of colors, and features a new color option: Smokey Granite Mica. All of the Mica color options, including Matador Red Mica, Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0, use an extraordinarily complex multi-layered, twice-baked process previously used only for concept vehicles or custom cars.
Power, Efficiency – Lots of Both
The 2017 GS line offers three distinct powertrain choices, each with its own performance signature. The rear-wheel drive GS 200t pairs a smooth-running 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The turbo engine delivers 241 hp and 258 lb.-ft. of peak torque, the latter sustained from 1,650 rpm through 4,400 rpm. As a result, the GS 200t feels responsive at everyday speeds. It’s also a highly efficient powertrain, with 33-mpg EPA-estimated highway fuel economy.
In the GS 350, a muscular 3.5-liter V6 produces 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. of torque and is paired with an eight-speed automatic for RWD, while the AWD variant features a six-speed. The V6’s combination of direct fuel injection and sequential port fuel injectors ensures ample power and crisp responsiveness.
Hybrid Leadership, Exemplified
The GS 450h is both the performance and efficiency leader in the GS line, which is no surprise as this hybrid comes from the world’s luxury hybrid leader. The GS 450h can go from 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds and yet has EPA-estimated fuel economy of 29 mpg city / 34 highway / 31 combined.
The Lexus Hybrid Drive system in the GS 450h combines output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total system horsepower, channeled through an electronically-controlled continuously variable transmission. Putting an exclamation point on its performance persona, the GS 450h is available with the F SPORT package.
For added grip in a variety of conditions – even perfectly dry – the Lexus GS 350 offers an available all-weather drive system featuring an electronically controlled center differential which provides a normal 30:70 torque split, with the rear-wheel bias favoring handling agility. The system reacts instantaneously to alter the split to as much as 50:50, depending on driving conditions, to help optimize traction.
For added grins when driving, the F SPORT package available for all three GS models combines track-tuned chassis enhancements with exclusive exterior and interior design features. The
GS 350 F SPORT can be combined with all-weather drive. With rear-wheel drive, the F SPORT offers a new limited-slip differential for 2017 and also opens the door to higher handling performance with the available Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS).
Modern Luxury, Rendered Classically
Mixing modern design and classic luxury elements, the GS cabin creates a comfortable feel and presents technology in a user-friendly manner. The classic ambience is exemplified by interior trim selections that include laser cut wood, Matte Walnut, or Striated Black and Naguri aluminum. Interior and leather colors include Chateau and Noble Brown, while the F SPORT offers Rioja Red.
The analog clock located in the center of the dash is housed in a single ingot of aluminum, features LED indicators and uses GPS for adjusting the time zone.
The interior design sets the stage for pure Lexus luxury, with a long list of standard amenities. Inside the GS you’ll find 10-way power front seats, 8-inch high-resolution central control screen, power tilt-and-telescoping steering column with automatic tilt-away, Siri®
Eyes Free Mode and a Lexus 12-speaker, 5.1 surround sound system. The GS 350 and GS 450h models make leather seating and navigation with 12.3-inch screen standard. The GS 200t also receives a complimentary navigation system.
Lexus Safety System+
The 2017 Lexus GS is a rolling testament to the brand’s pursuit of cutting-edge safety technology. Its structure and 10 standard airbags help provide occupant protection, while a wide array of driver-assist technologies helps the driver avoid hazards.
Lexus Safety System+, introduced for 2016 and made standard for 2017, combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance. Using a combination of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera, PCS can help detect vehicles -- and in some circumstances, pedestrians. The system can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
Using a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if the system determines that the driver unintentionally deviated from the lane. Lane Departure Alert, with Steering Assist enabled, can help the vehicle stay in the center of its lane by smoothly increasing steering torque a small amount to assist in maintaining course.
Intelligent High Beam combines technology, safety and driving courtesy. It automatically adjusts high- and low-beam illumination by sensing not only oncoming traffic, but also the taillights of the vehicle traveling in front.
The Lexus GS embodies the brand’s mastery of multimedia that’s powerful yet easy to use. The available 12.3-inch screen offers full-screen map capability – which is standard on GS 350 and GS 450h models. Buyers of the GS 200t are offered added value with complimentary navigation system.
Side “enter” buttons on the Remote Touch Interface controller and shortcut menu on the side of the screen make it even easier to operate climate control, audio, phone, navigation and more. Apple iPhone®
users have yet another control option, Siri®
Eyes Free Mode. Make calls, select songs from iTunes®
, get turn-by-turn navigation through Apple Maps, and much more, all by asking Siri.
Lexus Enform for Safety, Convenience and Fun
Lexus Enform Safety Connect is standard on all 2017 Lexus vehicles, with access to Lexus Enform response centers 24/7/365. With Lexus Enform Service Connect, the vehicle can also send alerts for specific factory recommended maintenance, simultaneously alerting a preferred Lexus retailer. Use the MyLexusandBeyond mobile app (for iOS devices) or LexusDrivers.com website to set push-reminders and alerts for maintenance and service issues.
With Lexus Enform Remote (one-year trial subscription included), the customer can remotely view and control certain aspects of the GS using a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Functions include remote door lock/unlock; remote start/stop for the engine and climate control; vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more. Navigation is accompanied by the Lexus Enform Destination Services and subscription-free Lexus Enform App Suite. Its voice-enabled apps let you search the Internet through Destination Search, make restaurant reservations using OpenTable®
, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™
, listen to Internet radio, (including Pandora®
, iHeartRadio and Slacker), search business reviews on Yelp®
and check in on Facebook Places™
What’s New for 2017
- Lexus Safety System+ made standard.
- Limited-slip differential optional for GS 350 RWD
- New Exterior color: Smokey Granite Mica
- Complimentary Navigation System for GS 200t
- GS 200t: 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 350: 311 horsepower, 3.5-liter DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive system combining output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total system horsepower.
- GS 200t and GS 350 (RWD): eight-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters and sport driving logic
- GS 350 (AWD): six-speed sequential-shift Automatic with paddle shifters
- GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive with V6 gas engine and electric drive motors; planetary-type electronically controlled continuously variable transmission with two-speed reduction (for “kickdown” functionality), Snow mode and paddle shifters.
- Front and rear aluminum control arms help reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS with exemplary agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision.
- Ventilated disc brakes feature four-piston aluminum front calipers and are equipped with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
- Standard 17-inch nine-spoke alloy wheels with 235/50R17 tires for GS 200t, and standard 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/45R18 tires for GS 350.
- Available GS F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40R19 front and 265/35R19 rear summer compound tires for RWD models, while AWD models have 235/40R19 all-season tires in the front and rear.
- The GS F SPORT RWD offers an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This technology integrates DRS, Electric Power Steering, and for GS 350 only, Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the system calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. The system can independently manage front and rear wheel steering angles to help enhance turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and agility.
- Standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems -- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -- with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited-slip differential effect.
- 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags.
- Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant’s head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries, in certain types of rear end collisions.
Luxury Options (highlights)
- Standard entertainment and connectivity technology includes enhanced Bluetooth® capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- Standard DVD video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs.
- HD Radio with iTunes® Tagging and a three-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM® Satellite Radio are standard.
- With the available heated and ventilated front seats, the GS features the Climate Concierge. This system automatically monitors the temperature of three separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Each zone will achieve its pre-set level of comfort as quickly as possible.
- Premium Package adds heated/ventilated front seats, power rear sunshade and rain-sensing wipers.
- Luxury Package (GS 350) includes: Premium Package plus 18-way power front seats, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Adaptive Variable Suspension with Sport S+ mode, driver/passenger seat memory system, LED foglamps, Laser Cut Wood trim, semi-aniline leather seating trim, rear seat climate and audio controls, wood/leather steering wheel, 19-inch wheels and rear seat manual sunshades.
- The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000hz at 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion. Clari-Fi technology analyzes compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.) and determines how much amplification is needed, and where, to correct it.
- 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.
- Eight years/100,000 miles hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery-control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.