Born in the Ukraine, Oksana Masters came to the United States at seven years old after being adopted by her mother, Gay Masters, whom she credits as her personal hero.
After suffering from her disability as a newborn as a result of birth defects from radiation poisoning from the Chernobyl Nuclear disaster, Masters was fitted with her first prosthetic leg above the knee at eight years old. Four years later, she was fitted with her second prosthetic leg above the knee.
In advance of the Paralympic Games London 2012, Masters participated in the 2012 ESPN the Magazine’s Body Issue and, later that year, was named U.S. Rowing’s Female Athlete of the Year. She has also been nominated for an ESPY award six consecutive years (2014-19) in the “Best Female Athlete with a Disability” category.
When not training or competing, Masters enjoys working out, rowing, camping, shopping, road trips, swimming, being outdoors in the mountains and singing in the car. She also loves coffee, with her favorite drink being the Americano, and hopes to open her own coffee shop one day.
Sports: Cycling, Cross-Country Skiing (sitting), Biathlon
Hometown: Louisville, Ky.
Currently Resides: Champaign,Ill.
Birthdate: June 19, 1989
Toyota Vehicle: Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Paralympic History: 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Paralympic Games London 2012, bronze (rowing – trunk and arms mixed double sculls)
- Paralympic Winter Games Sochi 2014, silver (12km cross-country), bronze (5km cross-country)
- Paralympic Games Rio 2016
- Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, gold (1.1km cross–country and 5km cross–country), silver (6km biathlon and 12.5km biathlon), bronze (12km cross-country)
- 2019 World Para Nordic Skiing Championships, gold (middle-distance biathlon, middle-distance cross-country, cross-country sprint, biathlon sprint, long-distance cross-country), silver (individual biathlon)
- 2019 Para-Cycling Road National Championships, first (road race, time trial)
- 2019 UCI Para–Cycling Road World Cup, silver (road race, time trial)
- 2020 Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability
Email Sign Up
Enter your email address below to sign up for email alerts.
All materials on this site are for editorial use only. The use of these materials for advertising, marketing or any other commercial purpose is prohibited. They may be cropped but not otherwise modified. To download these materials, you must agree to abide by these terms.I agree to the terms