Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. Comments on J.D. Power and Associates 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study
TORRANCE, Calif., March 17, 2011 – J.D. Power and Associates today announced the results from their 2011 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), covering 2008 model year vehicles. The following comments on the VDS can be attributed to Jim Lentz, president of Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc.
“Vehicle owners have spoken in the J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study and once again Toyota is the full-line manufacturer with the most awards. TMS continues to be a mark of consistency in this all-important study as Lexus has now scored among the top three nameplates in every year of eligibility and Toyota has been in the top five among non-luxury manufacturers since 1990.
"Of the numerous independent studies conducted each year, the J.D. Power VDS is one Toyota feels is among the most important as it reflects real-world, long-term vehicle quality and dependability. More than ever, consumers are considering durability as a key component in their vehicle purchase decision and these awards are one more key indicator that Toyota continues to take the lead.”
Highlights from J.D. Power and Associates’ VDS include:
- Toyota and Lexus received seven highest ranking awards – more than any other brand.
- The Tundra full-size pickup topped its segment for the sixth year in a row, while the Prius mid-size gas-electric hybrid sedan, 4Runner midsize Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV), Sienna midsize van, and Tacoma pickup truck each topped their respective segments.
- The Lexus RX luxury sport utility vehicle (Total) ranked highest in its segment; midsize premium crossover/SUV.
- Ten other Toyota, Scion and Lexus models ranked in the top three of their segment including Toyota Yaris sub-compact (Total), Toyota Matrix cross-over utility vehicle (CUV), Toyota RAV4 compact SUV, Toyota Solara midsize coupe, Toyota Sequoia full-size SUV, Scion tC sports coupe, Lexus GS luxury sport (Total), LS luxury sedan (Total), GX 470 luxury utility vehicle, and Lexus ES 350 entry luxury sedan.
TMS Segment Award Recipients
Midsize Premium MAV
Compact Multi-Purpose Vehicle
Other examples of Toyota’s commitment to excellence, quality products and customer satisfaction include:
- Seventeen Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles were named “most reliable” of which 12 made the “recommended” list, more in both categories than any other automaker, by a leading national consumer publication.
- Lexus owner loyalty remains the highest among luxury brands, according to internal studies.
- Eight Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles (Avalon, Corolla, Venza, Highlander, Sienna, RX, tC, & xB) received the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) 2011 Top Safety Pick Award.
# # #
Note to Editors: Electronic images of Toyota, Lexus and Scion products are available online via our news media web site http://www.toyotanewsroom.com
Toyota Division Communications