TORRANCE, CALIF. (August 23, 2012) -- Long the standard-bearer for luxury, sophistication and quality, Lexus adds dynamic performance as a defining characteristic with the introduction of the all-new 2013 GS 350. Equipped with a 306 horsepower 3.5-liter V6, a new suspension, Drive Mode Select and available Variable Gear Ratio Steering, the fourth-generation GS 350 feels at home on both the track and the street.
The transmission incorporates faster shifts, earlier torque converter lockup and downshift throttle blips. The new GS features a redesigned chassis and a wide, strong stance that rewards driver participation with crisp and precise handling. Engineers developed a more spacious interior environment while leaving exterior dimensions virtually unchanged to ensure excellent maneuverability. The 2013 Lexus GS 350 is available in rear-wheel drive (RWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) configurations, and can be equipped with the available Premium, Luxury or F SPORT packages for greater personalization.
The available GS 350 F SPORT takes performance a step further without sacrificing the trademark Lexus ride comfort. The new GS 350 F SPORT features a sport-tuned suspension with firmer springs, larger front brakes with high-friction brake pads, an adaptive variable damping system, thicker anti-roll bars, a variable gear ratio steering system, bushing changes, and larger front brakes with high friction brake pads.
The GS 350 also features four driving modes that can be operated by toggling the new Lexus Drive Mode selector. In addition to the Normal mode, the following settings let the driver customize the driving experience:
- ECO mode revises throttle mapping, seat heating, and climate control systems for better fuel economy. In ECO mode, meter lighting changes to blue.
- SPORT S mode revises throttle mapping and transmission shifting priorities to fully exploit the capabilities of the powertrain. In SPORT S mode, meter lighting changes to red.
- SPORT S+ mode (available with F SPORT and Luxury packages) engages handling enhancements via a sport setting of the adaptive variable suspension, steering system, and Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management (VDIM) together with the powertrain enhancements of SPORT S mode.
Driving dynamics combined with a richly endowed interior with premium details makes the new GS a luxury car that will suit the needs of many drivers. A next-generation Remote Touch with one-push confirmation is standard on all models and enables smooth, intuitive control of climate, audio, phone, optional navigation system and more. A standard rear back-up camera helps add security and convenience. The new GS has more rear headroom, knee room, legroom and foot space than the previous GS while front and rear door openings have been revised for easier ingress and egress. Trunk space has been increased by almost 25 percent and can easily accommodate four golf bags. Trunk access is improved with a six-and-a-half-inch wider opening.
Navigation- equipped vehicles feature Lexus Enform® with App Suite. The App Suite leverages customers’ mobile phone technology to provide a new level of connectivity and information management. Users can conduct local searches through Bing™, utilize voice-enabled apps to make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com, tap into internet radio, including Pandora® or iHeartRadio, search business reviews on Yelp and check in on Facebook places. A one-year trial subscription is included for the App Suite.
- The GS 350 is powered by a 306 horsepower, advanced 3.5-liter V6, four cams, and four valves per cylinder engine with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 19 mpg city, 28 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined.
- Improved intake and exhaust sound characteristics via an intake sound enhancer and optimized muffler chamber complement the bolder personality of the new GS.
- The six-speed sequential shift automatic transmission comes with paddle shifters and sport driving functions for enhanced driving pleasure.
- An optional electronically controlled all-wheel-drive system can vary front-to-rear torque balance from 50/50 to as much as 30/70, depending on driving conditions, for exceptional control.
- Engineers created a more rigid new platform by increasing the number of spot welds and adding laser welds in very specific locations.
- The track, wider by almost two inches, works in combination with a revised suspension design to help ensure a more solid stance and superior cornering performance.
- Front and rear aluminum control arms help reduce unsprung weight and results in significant improvements in agility, roll damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision.
- Ventilated disc brakes featuring four-piston aluminum front calipers are endowed with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
- The GS 350 features standard 17-inch alloy wheels paired with 225/50R17 tires, and optional 18-inch alloy wheels equipped with 235/45R18 tires.
- The GS 350 F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40/19 front and 265/35/19 rear summer compound tires for RWD models, while AWD models will have 235/40/19 all-season tires in the front and rear.
- The GS 350 F SPORT offers an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This newly developed technology offers Lexus’ first integration of DRS; Electric Power Steering; and Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the system calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. Using VGRS in the front and DRS in the rear, the system can independently manage both front and rear wheel steering angles to help improve turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and overall agility when cornering.
- The standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems – the Anti-lock Braking System, Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited slip differential effect.
- The GS is standard equipped with 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags for all four outboard occupant seating positions.
- New Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant’s head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries in certain types of rear end collisions.
- Other optional equipment includes a Night Vision System that enhances driver visibility at night; Heads Up Display; a Blind Spot Monitor that helps detect vehicles in rear/side blind spots; and Lane Keep Assist (LKA) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW).
- Available options to help further enhance occupant safety include a Pre-Collision System (PCS), which uses the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System to provide early warning of upcoming objects that might result in a collision. The system uses an infrared camera with new scanning technology to monitor the driver’s eyes. In the event that the driver does not appear to be looking forward when a collision appears imminent, the system will initiate the warning at an earlier threshold. If the driver still does not respond and make the appropriate maneuver, the system will initiate braking intervention up to 1.2 seconds prior to impact, designed to help lessen the severity of the collision. With available Lexus Dynamic Handling, PCS will help further mitigate the occurrence of a collision.
- The signature spindle grille with its trapezoidal contours fully integrates into the aggressive front bumper allowing for efficient airflow.
- Deep-set, high-tech headlamps with a projector beam design and L-shaped LED daytime running lamps further express the vehicle’s dynamic character.
- The GS 350 F SPORT is outfitted with a unique front bumper and rear lower valence, rear lip spoiler and F SPORT mesh grille inserts.
- The GS 350 F SPORT also features a rear bumper with a distinctive integrated exhaust diffuser and centered aero fins to help control underbody airflow.
- Engineers improved the driver’s seating position for increased comfort, better forward visibility and overall command of the road by redesigning the seat frame and changing the steering column angle from 23 to 21degrees.
- Standard equipment includes a new energy-saving auto climate control system called S-Flow that uses the occupant-detection system to focus airflow only to the front area where passengers are actually seated, a first-in-class technology.
- The driver and front passenger will enjoy the vibrant new high-resolution central control display.
- A new analog clock with LED indicators, carved from a single ingot of aluminum for a smooth consistent look, adds a unique touch, at once both modern and traditional.
- The F SPORT interior includes an exclusive design treatment with smooth, striated aluminum trim, unique perforated leather trim, black roof headliner, aluminum pedals, a three–spoke steering wheel showcasing distinctive F SPORT badging, and an available Cabernet Red leather interior.
- Standard entertainment and connectivity advancements include enhanced Bluetooth® capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- Standard DVD audio and video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs, and a high-resolution eight-inch central control display centrally located high up in the instrument panel.
- HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging and a three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio are standard.
- By adding the optional navigation system, GS owners can enjoy an industry-first 12.3-inch, split-screen, high-resolution multi-media display which is large enough to support simultaneous, split-screen viewing of a large map display, plus audio, climate or other vehicle information.
- The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a new class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000 hz at only 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion.
- 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.