Among all luxury brands, only Lexus offers five hybrid models, including the 2015 ES 300h. Such market leadership in this crucial technology is indicative of the brand’s overall focus on customer satisfaction. Luxury customers want hybrids, and Lexus delivers, having introduced the first one more than 10 years ago.
Perhaps the only thing more alluring than the coupe-like profile of the Lexus ES 300h is its EPA fuel economy ratings of 40 mpg city / 39 mpg highway / 40 mpg combined. The ES 300h cabin gives up nothing to accommodate the hybrid technology. The car’s 40-inch rear legroom compares with larger luxury sedans. And, even with its dramatically sweeping roofline, the ES 300h offers ample rear-seat head room.
The ES 300h stands out with a design highlighted by the Lexus spindle grille and dramatic L-themed LED daytime running lights. The sweeping roofline is one reason the ES 300h achieves a low 0.27 coefficient of drag (Cd), which helps reduce fuel consumption and minimize wind noise. The ES 300h does not shout its hybrid status but rather conveys it with elegant subtlety. Exclusive design features include specific split-five-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels, a lip spoiler, hidden exhaust pipe and blue hybrid badges.
New information and connectivity keeps the 2015 ES 300h ahead of the curve in this fast-moving field. Lexus Enform Remote (subscription required), the latest addition to the Enform family of connected services, allows the owner to remotely view and control certain vehicle features using a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Key features include remote door lock/unlock; remote stop/start for the engine and climate control; vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more. The Lexus Enform App Suite, meanwhile, upgrades to iHeartRadio™
4.0 and adds Slacker for more music-listening choices.
The new standard Display Audio uses a seven-inch touch-screen and also includes HD Radio™
audio, automatic phone book transfer, a vehicle information display and complimentary traffic and weather data provided via HD Radio. If a favorite song comes on the radio while you’re busy with something else, like waiting at a bank drive-through, use the cache radio feature to pause it for up to 15-minutes and then listen later.
The screen can be divided into up to three sections to display functions simultaneously. For example, when the car is equipped with optional navigation, you can view the navigation/map plus audio, compass or other function. The navigation system features a bird’s eye map with 3D building views.
In addition, the Navigation system can help you reach your destination sooner with up to date and predictive traffic information, including detour preview, ETA calculation and low-fuel coordination with available fuel stations. Navigation also includes the Lexus Enform App Suite.
Eyes Free Mode, which the ES 300h gained for 2014, is compatible with the iPhone®
4S and iPhone 5 models forward and puts select Apple’s Siri technology at your service. Siri lets you call contacts, select and play music from iTunes®
, get turn-by-turn navigation through Siri and Apple maps, and much more.
Hybrid Driving with Power
In the 2015 Lexus ES 300h, the ingenuity of the Lexus Hybrid Drive system is that it operates transparently. The system combines a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson cycle engine with an electric motor to generate 200 total system horsepower. Teamed to the system’s electronic continuously variable transmission, the powertrain can move the ES 300h from zero to 60 mph in 8.1 seconds. High torque at lower speeds helps make the ES 300h a joy to drive.
The ES 300h driver can tailor the driving experience by selecting from among four modes: Normal, Sport, Eco and EV. In EV mode, the car can be driven short distances at reduced speed, using only the power from the hybrid battery pack. Normal mode provides an ideal blend of performance and efficiency for most driving situations. Eco mode favors fuel economy, and Sport mode increases powertrain responsiveness for a more engaging driving experience.
Luxury That’s Unmistakably Lexus
Like the gasoline ES 350 model, the ES 300h belies the “entry luxury” label with such standard features as 10-way adjustable power front seats, clear Optitron®
gauges, automatic climate control and NuLuxe perforated interior available in parchment, light gray or black. Elegant piano-black trim adorns the instrument panel, doors and upper console, and the ES 350 also offers espresso bird’s eye maple or bamboo trim. With the available 12-way heated/ventilated power front seats, you can extend the seat cushions by 1.4 inches for added leg support.
Lexus customers count on cutting edge safety features, and they certainly find it in the 2015 ES 300h, with 10 airbags and an array of available driver aids including a Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Lane Departure Alert (LDA). The optional Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and can alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
The available second-generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI) puts control of numerous vehicle functions at your fingertips. Using the system controller on the center console, you can operate the climate control, audio system, phone, optional navigation system and more. Menus display in the center-dashboard screen.
Lexus offers additional luxury tiers in the ES 300h via the Premium and Luxury packages, with the Ultra Luxury Package delivering flagship-style amenities.
Premium Quiet, Premium Sound
With its ultra-quiet cabin, the ES 300h presents the ideal listening room for the standard eight-speaker Lexus Premium Sound System, which plays from the in-dash CD player, USB/iPod®
connectivity and an integrated SiriusXM®
Satellite Radio receiver with an all-access 90-day trial subscription. Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) adjusts system volume in response to ambient noise.
Only Lexus offers high-end Mark Levinson®
brand audio systems. Audiophiles have known about Mark Levinson high-end home audio since the 1970s. The ES 300h’s optional 15-speaker, 835-watt audio system makes any kind of music come to life inside the car. The system features HD Radio with iTunes tagging, DVD audio/video and a SiriusXM Satellite Radio receiver. GreenEdge technology doubles amplifier output while reducing its energy consumption by 50 percent. The reduced electrical load on the car contributes to better fuel efficiency.
New for 2015 model year ES, the available Mark Levinson system integrates a new audio restoration technology that was introduced in high-end home systems only recently. The technology restores some of the clarity lost during compression for digital formats commonly used today. The new Clari-Fi technology automatically analyzes compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.). It recognizes the level of compression and determines how much amplification is needed, and where, to correct it. The result is a much cleaner sound that is closer to the original recording.
Lexus Enform Keeps You Connected
The available Lexus Enform service, with Destination Services, and App Suite, can make a compatible smartphone even smarter. Lexus Enform provides access to the subscription-free App Suite. These voice-enabled apps let you search the Internet through Bing™
, make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®
, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™
, listen to Internet radio, (including Pandora®
, iHeartRadio and Slacker), search business reviews on Yelp®
, and check in on Facebook Places™
Lexus Enform Safety Connect, Lexus Enform Remote, and Lexus Enform Destination Services come with one-year trial subscriptions. Lexus Enform Safety Connect is standard on all vehicles, while Lexus Enform Destination Services is on all vehicles equipped with the optional Navigation system. The Lexus Enform response centers operate 24 hours a day, every day.
What’s New for 2015
Lexus Hybrid Drive
- New Multimedia system
- Standard Display Audio with backup camera
- Standard perforated NuLuxe upholstery
- Available Lexus Enform Remote
- Lexus Enform App Suite adds Slacker and upgrades to iHeartRadio 4.0
- Revised Remote Touch Interface knob
- The low friction 2.5-liter Atkinson cycle gasoline engine uses a sophisticated power management system and high compression ratio (12.5:1) to increase overall efficiency.
- Equipped with an electric water pump, electric power steering, and an integrated hybrid electric motor/generator, this engine does not require any accessory belts. The beltless design helps improve fuel economy and overall reliability.
- Stiff body structure and a quick steering ratio help deliver precise handling.
- Front suspension employs opposite-wound coil springs to help enhance straight-line stability.
- Airflow is smoothed beneath the vehicle, improving stability and fuel economy.
- Standard 215/55R17 low rolling resistance tires on 17-inch alloy wheels
- Available Lane Departure Alert (LDA) is packaged with automatic high beam dimming technology.
- The available Pre-Collision System (PCS) uses sub-millimeter wave radar, designed to detect certain obstructions traveling ahead and prepare the vehicle for a potential collision.
- Class-leading 10 airbags as standard equipment, including driver and front passenger knee airbags, front and seat-mounted air bags, as well as rear seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening (WIL) front seats are designed to limit excessive head movement in certain rear-end collisions, helping to decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries.
- 48-month/50,000 mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- Hybrid System Warranty coverage is for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and covers the following components: Hybrid control module, Hybrid battery control module, Hybrid battery and inverter with converter
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.