2016 Lexus LS 460/460 L Product Information
2016 Lexus LS 600 L Product Information
When the Lexus LS flagship sedan launched more than 25 years ago it made its mark with its luxury features, an interior that was created with painstaking attention to detail, and a remarkably smooth engine. Today, the supremely smooth standard 386-horsepower 4.6-liter V8 teamed with an eight-speed automatic transmission is only one facet of the Lexus LS 460 numerous features. Undeniably, it’s the one whose benefit you feel quite strongly during a road test. Quiet acceleration remains a hallmark aspect of driving a Lexus LS, which also offers the option of a more engaging driving experience with the F SPORT Package.
A wide range of model choices also make the Lexus LS a standout. The LS 460 comes in regular and long-wheelbase versions, each with the further choice of rear-wheel drive or all-weather drive (360 hp with AWD). The ultimate Lexus flagship sedan remains the LS 600h L hybrid with 438 total system horsepower from a 5-liter V8 paired with an electric motor and all-weather drive.
For 2016, the multimedia system is enhanced with minute changes that help usability considerably. Drivers are now able to display the map across all 12.3-inches of the navigation screen and enjoy updated graphics. For convenience, menu shortcuts have been added to the side of the screen for quick access to functions like Audio, Navigation, Phone, Climate, etc. Enhanced voice recognition capabilities will help users when commands are not understood by the system. In addition, the Remote Touch Interface now has “enter” and “back” buttons to help the driver navigate the multimedia screen.
The 2016 LS also receives body adhesive in more areas for enhanced body rigidity and handling. Runflat summer tires are now available as a convenient option for LS gas models.
With Lexus Enform Service Connect, new for 2016, the LS can tell you what it needs, and when. Information includes maintenance alerts, warning light notifications and a vehicle health report. Use the MyLexusandBeyond mobile app (for iOS devices) or LexusDrivers.com website to set push-reminders and alerts for maintenance and service issues including, for example, required maintenance warning light will alert you and your dealer of a specific factory recommended maintenance for a specific maintenance interval.
Great Looks That Really Work for It
With its Lexus-signature spindle grille and sleek, coupe-inspired design, the LS cuts through the clutter of luxury sedan sameness and at the same time slices through the air with a very low 0.26 coefficient of drag. That figure translates into meaningful benefits that include hushed wind noise and admirable V8 fuel efficiency.
Beneath the sleek lines, standard frequency-dependent suspension dampers contribute to flat, agile handling and the uncanny ride smoothness that has long been a Lexus LS hallmark. Using Lexus Drive Select, you can tailor the car’s performance to your driving style or mood by selecting one of three settings – “Normal,” “Eco” or “Sport S.” The system automatically adjusts several performance parameters, including transmission shift points and throttle response. “Eco” prioritizes fuel efficiency, while “Sport” quickens responses for a livelier feeling. Models equipped with the air suspension – including F SPORT -- offer two additional drive settings, “Comfort” and “Sport S+.”
F SPORT: Sharp Through Curves, Smooth Over Bumps
Sharpening the agility of a premium luxury sedan requires a deft touch to the suspension tuning and tire selection; the wrong choices bring harshness into the picture. Not so with the Lexus LS 460 F SPORT.
Sport-tuned air suspension and 19-inch forged alloy wheels lower the car by 0.4 inches, a change that noticeably tightens cornering response. The F SPORT also equips the LS with such high-performance hardware as a Torsen®
limited slip rear differential (RWD model) and Brembo®
six-piston caliper front brakes. You can combine F SPORT with all-weather drive for maximum grip a wide variety of conditions.
Outside, the F SPORT treatment adds a unique front fascia with an exclusive mesh spindle grille featuring a black surround, larger air intake openings and round fog lamps. Inside, the F SPORT conveys the proper driver’s car feeling with an Alcantara headliner, aluminum trim and leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters.
Luxury That Redefined The Term
A history of defining true luxury in both the obvious and smallest details continues to define the Lexus LS. Standard comforts include heated and ventilated front seats, with 16-way power adjustment for the driver and 12-way for the passenger.
The trademark quietness of the Lexus LS is rooted in body construction techniques that minimize noise, right down to the noise-reducing wheel design. As the car drives, resonant noise is channeled from the main air chamber to adjacent hollow areas within the wheels via resonator hole, cutting a significant source of road noise.
The supremely quiet cabin gives passengers the comfort to admire the craftsmanship that has set Lexus apart for decades. For example, Lexus craftsmen take 38 days to create the available Shimamoku (“striped wood”) Espresso wood steering wheel and matching trim. It’s an exhaustive 67-step process of layering dark- and light-shaded veneers to create this one-of-a-kind wood finish. The finished product is like a work of art.
Even the climate control caters to individuals. The available Lexus Climate Concierge is a four-zone system that lets occupants set temperature preferences for the main climate control system, the climate control seats and, for the driver, the heated steering wheel. Multiple sensors throughout the cabin ensure that the system reaches heating/cooling preferences quickly.
Tech That Works Easily
The Lexus LS multimedia system is accessed through a high-resolution 12.3-inch screen which provides a multitude of capabilities and including full-screen navigation.
The system includes HD Radio™
audio, automatic phone book transfer, a vehicle information display and complimentary traffic and weather data provided via HD Radio. You can’t pause time, but when a favorite song comes on HD Radio and takes you back, pressing the cache radio button will save up to 15 minutes of music to replay later – such as to enjoy it while parked in your driveway.
The enhanced Navigation system can help guide you to your destination more efficiently with up to date and predictive traffic information, including detour preview, ETA calculation and low-fuel coordination with available fuel stations. The system’s 3D and bird’s eye map views make it that much easier to find a location.
Eyes Free Mode is compatible with the iPhone®
4S and iPhone 5 models forward and puts select Apple’s Siri technology at your service. Siri lets you call contacts, select and play music from iTunes®
, get turn-by-turn navigation through Siri and Apple maps, and much more.
Steering wheel buttons provide quick, easy access to frequently used functions in the climate and audio systems. Operating navigation, climate control, a paired cell phone, audio system and numerous other vehicle functions is easy and intuitive with the console-mounted Lexus Remote Touch with enter and back buttons. With it, you can quickly toggle through screen menus to operate a variety of vehicle systems. One-push confirmation makes menu and item selection easy and intuitive.
Your smartphone gets a whole lot more capable when you step into the Lexus LS. The available Lexus Enform Destinations (Destination Assist, eDestination) and subscription-free App Suite come with the Navigation System. Voice-enabled apps let you search the Internet through Destination Search, make restaurant reservations using OpenTable®
, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™
, listen to Internet radio, (including Pandora®
and Slacker), search business reviews on Yelp®
and check in on Facebook Places™
Lexus Enform Remote (includes one year complimentary subscription) can be used to control certain vehicle features via mobile app. Key elements include remote door lock/unlock; remote start/stop for the engine and climate control; vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more.
Lexus Enform Safety Connect, Lexus Enform Remote, and Lexus Enform Destinations come with one-year trial subscriptions. The Lexus Enform response centers operate 24 hours a day, every day.
A Heritage of Beautiful Music
It may be hard to believe, but when Lexus introduced the first LS, audio quality seemed like a low priority in some luxury models. Lexus changed that with true premium sound as standard, and that tradition continues in the Lexus LS’ 10-speaker Premium Sound System with its Digital Sound Processor, Automatic Sound Levelizer and an in-dash, single-feed DVD/CD player.
For those who relish concert-grade sound in a car, the Lexus LS offers the optional Mark Levinson Reference Surround System. Benefitting from this brand’s decades of experience with ultra high-end home equipment, the LS system delivers the depth and power of a live performance.
The 19-speaker Lexus LS Mark Levinson system provides a 5.1 home theater surround experience using 7.1 architecture and discrete circuitry. The 450-watt, 15-channel ML3-16 Processor Power Amplifier covers the 20Hz-20kHz frequency range with less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) – a stunning achievement in mobile audio.
Safety and Collision Avoidance
The 2016 Lexus LS offers a raft of driver-assist technologies, including the Advanced Pre-Collision System (A-PCS) with Collision Avoidance Assist. This system is designed to assist the driver in avoiding or mitigating frontal collisions with vehicles and pedestrians, under certain conditions, in a wide range of city and highway speeds. At speeds lower than 24 mph, this technology can help the driver to avoid accidents by automatically bringing the LS to a full stop.
What’s New for 2016
- Body adhesive added to additional areas for enhanced body rigidity
- Enhanced multimedia system with full screen navigation
- Remote Touch Interface with enter and back buttons
- New exterior colors: Eminent White Pearl replaces Starfire Pearl; Atomic Silver added
- Available Lexus Enform Service Connect
- Available runflat summer tires for LS gas models
- Numerous stabilizing fins help make the LS one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in its segment with a 0.26 drag coefficient. Laser screw welding, body adhesives and other structural reinforcements increase rigidity and enhance control, steering feel and handling.
- Drive Mode Select allows the driver to choose from three distinct drive settings (Eco, Normal and Sport S). Vehicles equipped with the available air suspension add Comfort and Sport S+ modes.
- The available Air Suspension with Variable Gear Ratio Steering automatically adjusts the damping force for optimal comfort and performance.
- The available AWD system features a Torsen limited slip center differential to further enhance grip, traction and cornering stability.
- Noise-reduction wheels.
- An available Lane-Keep Assist system (LKA) helps the driver stay in the current visibly-marked lane.
- The Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) uses rear millimeter-wave radar to monitor the vehicle rear side blind spots at 10 miles per hour or more. This feature includes Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), which automatically operates when the vehicle is in reverse, alerting drivers to the approach of other vehicles when backing out of a parking place.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) constantly monitors the distance to vehicles ahead and is capable of operating at a wide range of speeds. The system is designed to bring the vehicle to a complete stop and accelerate once the road ahead is clear.
- The available Automatic High Beam system features a camera located in the inside rear-view mirror that detects light sources in front of the vehicle — including the headlamps of oncoming vehicles, the tail lamps of a vehicle ahead and street lighting - to automatically switch the high beams on and off accordingly.
- Front seats minimize pressure peaks and increase support. Both front seats feature a standard heating and cooling system with large heating and cooling areas for reduced heating and cooling times.
- AWD models, including the LS 600h L, feature a standard heated steering wheel and Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heating elements, which warm the front cabin area quickly after vehicle start-up. Windshield de-icer and headlamp washers are standard on AWD models.
- The LS features a standard Lexus Premium Audio System with a nine-channel amplifier, 10 speakers, CD / DVD player changer, DVD audio and video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging, and a three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio. Standard entertainment and connectivity advancements include enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- Available power rear seats with Climate Concierge.
- An available Ottoman Seating Package with Shiatsu massage and a Rear Seat Entertainment System featuring a Blu-ray Disc™ DVD player, an SD card slot and a retractable, ceiling mounted, nine-inch full-color VGA screen.
- The dashboard is divided into two distinct zones: an upper Display Zone, with the large, 12.3-inch, LCD multi-display screen, and a lower Operation Zone that provides access to system controls such as the Remote Touch Interface (RTI).
- The driver’s instrument meter cluster incorporates high-visibility, large diameter Optitron dials; a 5.8-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Multi-information screen; and an aluminum analog clock with a GPS-based time correction function.
- Optional wood trim includes Walnut, Shimamoku Espresso and Matte Brown Bird’s Eye Maple. The LS 600h L also offers an eco-sensitive Bamboo trim.
- 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.
- Eight years/100,000 miles hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery-control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.