CHICAGO, Feb. 11, 2016
- - Whether tackling treacherous snow-covered terrain, driving off the beaten path, or surviving extreme conditions where roads fear to tread, the adrenaline-pumping TRD Pro Series from Toyota is up for any challenge. Two years ago, the TRD Pro Series arose from Toyota’s storied off-road racing heritage, with its numerous victories in the grueling Baja off-road endurance races. Born from this experience, the Toyota TRD Pro Series Tacoma, Tundra, and 4Runner have helped serious off-roaders go places they never dreamed possible.
This fall, the Toyota Tacoma will rejoin the 2017 model year TRD Pro family with all-new factory-installed off-road equipment designed by the experts at Toyota Racing Development (TRD) to make it even more off-road capable than before.
Aimed squarely at extreme off-roading enthusiasts who challenge themselves and their trucks and SUV’s in some of the harshest conditions, the new 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro will raise the bar on TRD Pro performance. Courtesy of TRD, the new Tacoma TRD Pro will add an array of new performance equipment and features, making this a truly second-generation TRD Pro product, and the new benchmark for challenging off-road terrain.
Extreme Exterior for Extreme Performance
The 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro is designed to not only look tough, but to perform in the toughest off-road environment. Based on the Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed model in either 6-speed manual (with clutch start-cancel switch) or 6-speed automatic transmission, the new Tacoma TRD Pro will be available in three exterior colors: Cement, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Super White. The exterior of each Tacoma TRD Pro model will also include:
- 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Kevlar®-reinforced tires
- TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate
- Rigid Industries® LED fog lights
- Projector-beam headlights with black bezels, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and auto on/off feature
- Taillights with black bezels
- TRD Pro badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
- Black TRD Pro and 4x4 rear tailgate badging
Each Tacoma TRD Pro will also come equipped with a heritage-inspired TOYOTA front grille with color-keyed surround, blacked out hood scoop and graphic, color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, color-keyed door handles, black overfenders, and a color-keyed rear bumper.
Interior Sportiness Combined with Convenience Technology
Driving a sporty package in rugged off-road conditions does not mean you can’t ride in comfort and with the latest safety and convenience technologies. The new Tacoma TRD Pro combines sportiness and convenience with standard features that include:
- Black TRD Pro leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logo located in the headrest
- 4-way adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
- Entune™ Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite
- TRD shift knob
- TRD Pro floor mats
- Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth® hands-free phone controls
- Rear parking assist sonar
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
The new Tacoma TRD Pro also includes an analog instrumentation that features a 4.2-inch color Multi-Information Display (MID) with an integrated inclinometer and tilt gauge. The MID also adds outside temperature, odometer, tripmeters, and average fuel economy.
As in all Tacoma models, a GoPro®
mount is located on the windshield for serious off-roaders who like to document their exploits with GoPro®
The new 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro continues to be all about off-road performance as it strives to raise the bar from the original. The Tacoma TRD Pro will be powered by a 3.5-Liter V6 DOHC 24-valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle engine with VVT-iW (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Wide) intake and VVT-I exhaust.
Tacoma TRD Pro really earns its off-road cred through its TRD-installed suspension and exhaust enhancements that include:
- FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned by TRD
- TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch lift
- TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate off-road leaf spring
Every Tacoma TRD Pro will be equipped with 4WDemand part-time 4WD with a transfer case and Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (Auto LSD) that are both electronically-controlled. Also standard will be a V6 Tow Package that includes a Class-IV towing receiver hitch, ATF cooler (automatic only), engine oil cooler, power steering cooler, 130-amp alternator, 4- and 7-pin connector with convertor, and Trailer-Sway Control (TSC).
An electronically controlled locking rear differential is also standard to help distribute engine power evenly to both rear wheels so they move at the same speed, providing more grip in low-traction conditions.
When the trail gets challenging, Tacoma TRD Pro’s Crawl Control (CRAWL) will help drivers conquer their off-road adventure. Equipped on automatics only, this advanced system automatically modulates the throttle and brakes on five low-speed settings so you can keep your focus on navigating across difficult terrain.
Equipped on Tacoma TRD Pro automatic is the Toyota Multi-terrain Select system. With five modes to choose from, the system helps regulate wheel spin by automatically adjusting the engine throttle and traction control. When combined with the standard Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain tires with tough Kevlar construction, Multi-terrain Select helps enhance traction dramatically, meaning you can get back to the fun more quickly.
Tacoma TRD Pro’s Hill Start Assist Control (HAC), equipped on automatic transmission models only, helps you safely get up those hills. This technology helps minimize Tacoma from rolling backward when you move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal, so you can move upward with confidence.
The added traction of 4WD is great, but with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), it’s even better! Equipped only on the Tacoma TRD Pro manual, A-TRAC is a 4WD traction control system that uses the 4-channel ABS system to control power flow to the front and rear wheels, all without cutting throttle input, to help make traction no matter where you may be.
Street Cred On and Off-Road
The TRD Pro Series is the most-advanced yet in a long line of TRD packages for Toyota trucks that dates back to 1998 when the first Off-Road package was introduced for Tacoma.
TRD has been an in-house engine and chassis developer for successful Toyota racing activities around the world for nearly four decades. It also develops motorsport-derived accessories for Toyota, Lexus and Scion street cars and trucks. TRD’s U.S. operations were first established in 1979 and are headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., with an additional facility in Salisbury, N.C.
Toyota Factory Warranty
Like all Toyota vehicles, the Tacoma TRD Pro receives a 36-month/36,000 mile basic new-vehicle warranty applies to all components other than normal wear and maintenance items. Additional 60-month warranties cover the powertrain for 60,000 miles and corrosion with no mileage limitation. The Tacoma also comes standard with Toyota Care, a complimentary plan covering normal factory-scheduled maintenance and 24-hour roadside assistance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The Tacoma TRD Pro will be assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc. (TMMTX) in San Antonio.
The Tacoma TRD Pro Series will start getting down and dirty in the fall of 2016.
2017 TACOMA TRD PRO PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
||Tacoma TRD Pro
||-16” TRD black alloy
-Aggressive wheel offset widens the track +1.0-inches front and rear
||-Goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Kevlar®-reinforced tires
||FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks Tuned by TRD
- Front: TRD-tuned FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass Coil-overs with TRD coil springs
- Rear: TRD-tuned FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass Shocks with TRD Off-Road specification Leaf Springs
- 2.5-inch diameter aluminum bodies
- FOX patented Internal Bypass technology
- Position-sensitive Damping
- Internal Floating Pistons (IFP)
- Hardened, oversized shock shafts are protected by redundant dust boots
- Improved suspension droop travel and bottom out resistance
||-Unique TRD-Tuned front springs provide a 1-inch lift
-TRD-tuned rear suspension includes progressive-rate leaf springs from TRD Off-Road models.
||- Rigid Industries® LED fog lights
- Cool white (6500K) light color
-35-degree high intensity beam pattern
- Instant On/Off
|| - TRD PRO front skid plate
- Constructed of ¼-inch aluminum
||- Unique heritage-inspired “TOYOTA” front grille with color-keyed surround
- Blacked-out hood scoop and graphic
- Black bezel headlights, taillights, and overfenders
- Color-keyed mirrors, door handles, rear bumper
- Black “TRD PRO” badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
- TRD Pro and 4x4 rear tailgate badging
||-Cement, Barcelona Red Metallic, Super White
||- Black TRD Pro Leather-trimmed heated front seats
- TRD Pro logo located in headrest
- TRD Shift Knob
- TRD Floor Mats