The 2013 RX 450h features the signature Lexus spindle grille, an upgraded interior and EPA fuel economy estimates of 30 mpg combined for front-wheel drive models and 29 mpg for rear wheel drive versions. A full hybrid, the RX 450h can operate in electric-only, gas-engine-only, or combined gas and electric modes. The hybrid powertrain is complemented by EV, Eco, and Normal driver selectable modes, plus a new Sport mode which helps fully exploit powertrain capabilities.
“In 2005, the RX 400h was the world’s first luxury hybrid vehicle,” said Mark Templin, Lexus group vice president and general manager. “The new 2013 RX 450h will continue to be the segment leader as it has all the benefits of the industry’s most popular luxury utility vehicle, and Lexus Hybrid Drive.”
RX models are equipped with a segment-leading 10 standard airbags, including roll sensing side curtain airbags, front seat-mounted side airbags, rear side airbags (for the outboard seating positions) and knee airbags for the driver and the front passenger.
The standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems – the Anti-lock Braking System, Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) – with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited slip differential effect.
The optional Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to measure and help maintain a pre-set following distance from a vehicle traveling directly ahead. The radar sensor can detect certain obstacles in front of the car, and a PCS computer with vehicle speed, steering angle and yaw-rate inputs helps to determine whether a collision is imminent. In such a situation, PCS preemptively retracts front seat belts and pre-initializes BA so that increased braking will be applied the instant the driver depresses the pedal.
Navigation equipped vehicles feature Lexus Enform® with App Suite. The App Suite leverages the customers’ mobile phone technology to provide a new level of connectivity and information management. Users can conduct local searches through Bing™, utilize voice-enabled apps to make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com, tap into internet radio, including Pandora® and iHeartRadio, search business reviews on Yelp and check in on Facebook places. A one-year trial subscription is included for the App Suite.
New for 2013 Mechanical
- Sport mode with revised steering effort, throttle mapping and transmission-shifting priorities to fully exploit the capabilities of the powertrain. In Sport mode, the hybrid meter light changes to red.
- New bumper complemented with new headlamp design, LED daytime running lights and distinctive fog lamp bezels
- Updated tail lamps and rear license plate surround
- New colors include Silver Lining Metallic, Claret Mica, Deep Sea Mica, and Fire Agate Pearl
- Ebony Bird’s-Eye Maple wood trim
- Metallic glove box accents
- Power back door
- Redesigned center console
- Steering wheel redesigned for a more comfortable and relaxing grip
- USB iPod/mp3 control
- Available Saddle Leather interior
- Available leather-trimmed interior with contrast stitching on seats, center console and door-mounted armrests
Available All-Wheel Drive
- Lexus Hybrid Drive with a 3.5-liter V6 Atkinson-cycle engine offering V8-like performance, 295 total system horsepower.
- Compact 288V DC Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery pack
- Front-mounted 123-kW electric motor-generator
- Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) certification in California (Tier 2-Bin 3 in other states).
- EPA-estimated fuel economy
- Front Wheel Drive (FWD): 32 mpg city, 28 mpg highway, 30 mpg combined
- All-Wheel Drive (AWD): 30 mpg city, 28 mpg highway, 29 mpg combined
- Employs separate rear electric motor-generator to provide power to the rear wheels when road conditions or throttle response dictates.
- AWD system increases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s front tires start to lose traction and decreases rear-wheel torque when the vehicle’s rear tires start to lose traction.
- A SNOW mode slows accelerator-pedal response to help reduce the possibility of wheel spin.
- Uniquely designed double-wishbone rear suspension improves handling and yields greater cargo area room.
- VSC adds steering assist torque to help aid handling on a split-friction surface.
- TRAC and VSC functions can also be turned off, for example, when the driver needs to free the vehicle from mud or snow.
- Two-piston front caliper brakes.
- 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 235/60R18 tires. Two optional 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 235/55R19 tires.
- Hill-start Assist Control uses brake pressure to help prevent the vehicle from moving backward when starting out on an incline.
- A high-strength cabin design and comprehensive Supplemental Restraint Systems are designed to help provide a high level of crash-energy management.
- Active front headrests help to reduce the severity of a whiplash injury in the event of certain types of lower speed rear collisions.
- Standard SmartAccess keyless entry with push-button start, power tilt and telescopic steering column, 10-way power front seats including power lumbar adjustment.
- An optional leather and wood-trimmed wheel is available for added luxury.
- Seat materials include standard fabric, optional leather-trim or even softer semi-aniline leather.
- An available smog sensor is designed to detect harmful particles (CO, HC, NOx) in other vehicles’ exhaust emissions and automatically switch between fresh air and recirculation modes.
- Standard voice recognition and Bluetooth® technology allows hands-free communications when paired with a compatible smartphone.
- A ventilation function for the front seats helps improve comfort on hot days.
- A 12-speaker audio system featuring two-rear-door tweeters, a compact, L-shaped subwoofer in the rear-luggage compartment, a DVD/CD player, and HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging comes with the optional Navigation Package.
- The 15-speaker Mark Levinson® Surround Sound system allows listeners to enjoy 330 watts at 0.1 percent THD through 7.1-channel surround sound.
- The Hard Disc Drive navigation system includes the Remote Touch Interface, Lexus Enform® with Safety Connect® (includes complimentary one-year trial subscription), Voice Command casual-language voice recognition and Bluetooth® automatic phonebook download.
- The back-up camera helps provide the driver with a wider range of visibility while in reverse and displays images on the central control screen.
- The more aggressive front of the RX is highlighted with Lexus’ signature spindle grille and fog lamps integrated with the sculpted lower bumper.
- The LED daytime running lights reflect the “L” design motif, as do the combination rear lamps.
- Pronounced front fenders flow into the doors, and integrated rear fender flares neatly sweep around to pull together the taut rear corners of the vehicle.
- A high contrast white Organic Light Emitting Diode displayed on a black background is used for the multi-information display located next to the speedometer.
- RX models feature an Eco driving indicator zone that displays current fuel economy and alerts the driver when they are achieving low fuel efficiency.
- To help reduce driver distraction and wasted movement, Lexus engineers strategically placed several features close to the driver including the multi-information switch, the optional second generation Remote Touch console-mounted navigation controller and the optional Heads-Up Display.
- Vehicle settings can be customized, including personal door-lock preferences, interior/exterior light adjustments, driver’s seat easy exit, and window-closure settings.
- 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection, regardless of mileage.
- Eight years/100,000 miles hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery-control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.